Thursday, July 21, 2016

No More Love? Yankees Jerseys No Longer Popular

For the first time in history, the New York Yankees jersey is no longer a top-selling item at the League’s official online shop for the first half of 2016. Experts say the iconic blue stripes uniform has become less popular because of the team’s recent lackluster performances; a sharp contrast to how the team performed when Derek Jeter was still on their roster. Several other players – mostly from the Mets and Red Sox – made the list, with David Wright, Noah Syndergaard, and Jacob deGram scoring relatively high.

http://images.footballfanatics.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=/productImages/_1728000/ff_1728639_xl.jpg&w=340
 Image Source: shop.mlb.com

However discouraging this seems, many New York Yankees fans are not worried. Every team suffers its highs and lows, and these last few years have not been our best.

http://hotstovemlb.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/nyy-pin-logo.gif
 Image Source: hotstovemlb.com

This doesn’t mean that the Yankees haven’t been playing well; by all means, they are still a superior team. Yet this media-driven society yearns for a superstar. Team cohesion is not as visually exciting as a star player.

It sounds cynical, but all sports go through some sort of media onceover. I am not going to deny that the Yankees are not as great as they once were, but any sports fan would see how rigorous their training is and the quality of their players. There is just something lacking, I suppose. There is no spark, no fire. From my point of view, the Yankees are more a team now with equally performing players. This, I feel, is another factor why no Yankee jersey made the list.

I believe that in a few years and gentle patience, we will once again see the Yankees rise to its former glory.

Hi! I am Judd Bergman, an avid Yankees fan. I am now a retired photographer and spend most of my time writing about my hobbies and passions; most of which I share on this YouTube account.

9 comments:

  1. My heart will always go for Yankees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe there should be a change in strategies, I think. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe Yankees will get back to its former glory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it is not their year. Every team suffers its highs and lows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. By giving extreme training and doing new strategies, Yankees will definitely back on their game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patience is a virtue. Go Yankees!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The support of the fans is still evident up to now. I am one of them!

    ReplyDelete